Natria does not contain Glyphosate, the herbicide most commonly associated with Roundup products. Instead, Natria weed killers contain the active ingredients ammoniated soap of fatty acids and Maleic Hydrazide. Ammoniated soap of fatty acids is a naturally derived compound that is safe for use. However, Maleic Hydrazide is a chemical herbicide that may be harmful to the environment. Although Natria does not contain Glyphosate, it still contains chemical weed killers and is not considered organic.
Table of Contents
What are the Ingredients in Natria?
The first main ingredient in Natria is ammoniated soap of fatty acids. This compound is derived from plants. It is generally shown to be harmless to the environment. It is a non-systemic herbicide, which means it attacks the leaves and stems of the plants it is sprayed on but does not kill plants down to the root.
- The active ingredients in Natria are ammoniated soap of fatty acids and Maleic Hydrazide.
- Ammoniated soap of fatty acids kills plant leaves and is generally harmless and natural.
- Maleic Hydrazide is a chemical herbicide that destroys chromosomes and may have negative effects on the environment.
The second active ingredient in Natria is Maleic Hydrazide. This chemical is a herbicide first developed for use during the 1940s and 50s. It kills plants to the root by “breaking” chromosomes. Some scientific studies link Maleic Hydrazide to mutation and cancer in insects and mammals. Other studies claim that Maleic Hydrazide is a weed control herbicide with a low risk to the environment.
Are the Ingredients in Natria Safe?
Most resources agree that the ammoniated soap of fatty acids in Natria is safe. However, the chemical herbicide in Natria Grass & Weed Control—Maleic Hydrazide—is more controversial. This study found that plants can break the chemical down into several products, one of which is hydrazine, a known carcinogen.
- The ammoniated soap of fatty acids in Natria is generally considered safe.
- Maleic Hydrazide in Natria has been linked to mutation and cancer in some studies.
- Other scientific studies have concluded that Maleic Hydrazide is a “low risk” chemical herbicide.
There is a range of scientific evidence for and against the use of Maleic Hydrazide. A study backed by the European Food Safety Authority found that Maleic Hydrazide represents a “low risk” to insects, mammals, and aquatic animals. “Low risk” is not the same as “no risk.” However, this research does indicate that the Maleic Hydrazide in Natria may be somewhat safer than other chemical herbicides.
Is Natria Safer than Roundup?
If you compare Natria vs. Roundup you will find that Natria could possibly be safer than Roundup. Roundup contains Glyphosate, which studies have linked to non-Hodgkins lymphoma in humans. Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is a form of cancer, which means Roundup is dangerous.
- Natria and Roundup both contain chemical herbicides that are harmful to the environment.
- The Glyphosate in Roundup has been linked to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (a form of cancer) by scientific studies.
- Maleic Hydrazide (an ingredient in Natria) has been linked to cancer and mutation in animal species, but links to cancer in humans have not yet been established.
Natria may be a better choice than Roundup. This review of previous studies shows that the Maleic Hydrazide in Natria has not been conclusively linked to cancer in humans, but has been linked to mutation and cancer in other species. Natria products that contain Maleic Hydrazide may be safer than Roundup products, but Natria is not risk-free.
What Products Contain Glyphosate Herbicide?
Although Roundup is the most famous product line that contains Glyphosate, there are many other weed killers that contain Glyphosate as well. In fact, there are too many to list. If you wish to avoid using Glyphosate products, examine the active ingredients list of any weed killer you consider purchasing. Several products from many different brands include Glyphosate in their formulas.
What is the Safest Alternative to Glyphosate?
Before choosing Natria Grass & Weed Control over Glyphosate products, view other alternatives. Our top choice is Ammonium Nonanoate, which desiccates plant leaves and stems on contact. When you compare Ammonium Nonanoate vs. Glyphosate, Ammonium Nonanoate comes out on top as a safe non-selective herbicide. Additionally, the EPA states that the use of Ammonium Nonanoate poses “no risks to human health.”
- This Ortho weed killer contains Ammonium Nonanoate—an environmentally safe ingredient that attacks all weeds and grasses.
- Ammonium Nonanoate is classified as “no risk” to human health.
- If you prefer an organic weed killer, use this citrus oil weed spray.
Although the Maleic Hydrazide in Natria is subject to controversy, Ammonium Nonanoate products are considered safe. This is because Ammonium Nonanoate is a “soap salt.” It is derived from nonanoic acid, which occurs in almost all living organisms and many foods. This makes products with Ammonium Nonanoate a safer alternative to both Glyphosate and Natria.
- You'll notice results within 15 minutes.
- Approved for organic gardening by the OMRI.
- Can be applied directly to weeds.
What Herbicide Does Not Contain Glyphosate?
There are dozens of herbicides that do not contain Glyphosate. Natria is one of these products. However, both Natria and Glyphosate are forms of non-selective herbicide. This means they kill any weeds or grass they are sprayed on. In comparison, there are several products that kill weeds but won’t harm grass. Look for products containing 2,4-D, Atrazine, Triclopyr, Mecoprop, and Dicamba. These are all grass-safe herbicides that are not related to Glyphosate.
- There are many herbicides that don’t contain Glyphosate.
- This 2,4-D product will selectively kill weeds without harming grass.
- 2,4-D has not been strongly linked to cancer in humans, unlike Glyphosate.
Our top choice for killing annual and perennial weeds without harming grass is 2,4-D herbicide. This is due to the fact that studies have shown that 2,4-D does not increase the risk of cancer among workers who produce and handle 2,4-D on a daily basis.
- Helps you control a variety of weeds.
- Easy to mix with water and apply.
- Start noticing results within days.
Does Natria have Glyphosate?
Natria does not contain Glyphosate, but it does contain Maleic Hydrazide as an active ingredient. Maleic Hydrazide is a chemical herbicide that destroys chromosomes and may still pose a risk to the environment. If you’re looking for a natural alternative to Glyphosate products for killing weeds and grasses, use a product that contains Ammonium Nonanoate. Alternatively, use an organic weed killer made from citrus oil.