Cornerstone Plus is a generic Glyphosate weed killer that contains the same active ingredient as Roundup. Both products contain Glyphosate, a non-selective weed killer that systemically attacks all plants and grasses it is applied to. If diluted and mixed properly, Cornerstone Plus can be used as a Roundup substitute. Due to its lower price, using Cornerstone Plus is a much less expensive alternative to Roundup.
Table of Contents
Cornerstone Plus vs Roundup Head-to-Head
Let’s take a closer look at these two weed killers to see which one provides you with the most weed-killing power for your dollar. We will be comparing the following two products:
- Cornerstone Plus – 2.5 Gallons: with 41% Glyphosate
- Roundup Super Concentrate – 1 Gallon: with 50% Glyphosate.
Immediately, it’s clear that with Cornerstone Plus you’re getting more weed killer for your money. 2.5 Gallons of Cornerstone Plus at 41% Glyphosate contains over a gallon of Glyphosate herbicide. In comparison, a single gallon of Roundup super concentrate contains only half a gallon of Glyphosate. Since it already seems like the better value, let’s take a closer look at Cornerstone Plus as a Roundup alternative.
Is Cornerstone Plus the Same as Roundup?
While Cornerstone Plus and Roundup contain the same weed-killing ingredient, they are not exactly the same product. Roundup contains additional ingredients, including surfactants that cause the herbicide to stick to the plant, increasing effectiveness. Cornerstone Plus does not include these ingredients and must be mixed with a surfactant to achieve the same plant-killing power as Roundup
- Cornerstone Plus and Roundup both contain the same active ingredient—Glyphosate
- Glyphosate is a non-selective weed killer that attacks all actively growing plants.
- Roundup contains additional ingredients and surfactants to boost effectiveness.
- Cornerstone Plus does not contain additional surfactants.
In essence, Roundup is more ready-to-use than Cornerstone Plus. However, both have equal potential to control weeds and grasses in your yard.
How Long Does it Take Cornerstone Plus to Kill Weeds vs. Roundup?
Glyphosate—the active ingredient in both Roundup and Cornerstone Plus—requires 7–14 days to fully kill weeds. This means the two products have the same effective speed. However, it’s important to note that because of its surfactants and additional ingredients, Roundup may show results faster than Cornerstone Plus.
- Both Roundup and Cornerstone Plus require 7–14 days to kill weeds down to the root.
- Roundup may show initial results (yellowing, wilting weeds) sooner than Cornerstone Plus.
This comparison is essentially a tie since the two products employ the same active ingredient. This is good news if you’re considering a switch to Cornerstone Plus.
What Does Cornerstone Kill? Is Roundup More Effective?
Roundup and Cornerstone are both proven to kill over 100 species of weeds, grass, and other plants. The Glyphosate weed killer in both of these products is non-selective, meaning it attacks every plant it is sprayed on, unless you are applying it to a specially designed Roundup-resistant crop, such as certain types of soybeans.
- Cornerstone and Roundup both attack all plants they are applied to.
- Both products attack weeds, all types of grass, trees, shrubs, and vines.
- Roundup is more effective than Cornerstone Plus due to additional surfactant ingredients.
- Mix Cornerstone Plus with a surfactant to match the effectiveness of Roundup.
Because it contains additional surfactants, Roundup has a higher kill rate than plain Cornerstone Plus. Mix Cornerstone Plus with this non-ionic surfactant to achieve the same results and kill rate as Roundup.
- Easy application and rainproof within 30 minutes.
- Noticeable results with weeds wilting and dying within 2-4 days.
- Kills a large variety of unwanted and invasive weeds and grasses.
How to Use Cornerstone Plus as Roundup Replacement
If you want to replace Roundup with Cornerstone Plus in order to save money and achieve the same weed-killing results, it’s important to do the following:
- Properly dilute Cornerstone Plus to 2% Glyphosate for standard weed and grass control.
- Add a non-ionic surfactant to Cornerstone Plus to boost effectiveness to match Roundup.
By following these two processes you can use Cornerstone Plus to create a low-cost product with the same weed-killing power as commercial Roundup.
How Much Cornerstone Plus Do You Mix With a Gallon of Water?
To achieve a 2% Glyphosate solution, which is the percentage in ready-to-spray Roundup products, mix 3-4 ounces of Cornerstone Plus in 1 gallon of water. This can easily be done in a sprayer. For best results, add the Cornerstone Plus and any surfactants to the sprayer first, followed by the water.
- Mix 3-4 ounces of Cornerstone Plus per gallon of water.
- Add Cornerstone Plus to the tank or sprayer before adding water.
This dilution rate is suitable for controlling killing common weeds and grasses. Use undiluted Cornerstone Plus for purposes like killing tree stumps.
- Kills the toughest invasive grass and weeds down to the root.
- No-mix formula that is convenient and easy to use.
- Rainproof in 10 minutes with visible results within 3 hours.
Do You Need to Mix Cornerstone Plus with a Surfactant?
In order to get the best results out of Cornerstone Plus, it should be mixed with a non-ionic surfactant. This will cause the weed killer to cling to plant leaves instead of dripping or washing off. A surfactant boosts weed-killing efficiency and helps to kill tough weeds.
- Mix Cornerstone Plus with a non-ionic surfactant at product label rates.
- Surfactants cause the weed killer to stick to the plant, increasing the chance of absorption and killing more weeds in a single application.
If you don’t use a surfactant with Cornerstone Plus, some weeds may survive initial applications of herbicide. This may require you to spray them multiple times. Some very stubborn weed species, such as horsetail or ivy, may resist the weed killer entirely if there’s no surfactant in the mix.
Which is Better: Cornerstone Plus or Roundup?
Cornerstone Plus is a great weed control alternative to Roundup. The main reason is that it can have the same weed-killing power as Roundup at a lower price point. Both Cornerstone Plus and Roundup rely on Glyphosate as their herbicidal ingredient, meaning they have the potential to kill the same range of plant species at the same speed and efficiency. However, to get Cornerstone Plus to match up to Roundup’s effectiveness, it must be diluted properly and mixed with a non-ionic surfactant.