Fresh blueberries can last for 5–10 days in the refrigerator. You can maximize the shelf life of your blueberries with a few simple tricks. Be sure to throw out any moldy blueberries at once to protect the other berries. Place the berries in a breathable container. Using a non-airtight container will allow them the right amount of air circulation. Add a couple of paper towels to wick excess moisture from the container. Lastly, keep the blueberries in your crisper drawer to minimize moisture exposure.
Should Blueberries Be Refrigerated?
Unless you’re planning on eating blueberries in the next 24 hours, it’s best to refrigerate them. The proper storage container for blueberries is a breathable container with paper towels. This will allow ideal airflow while the paper towels absorb excess moisture.
- It’s best to refrigerate blueberries for short-term storage.
- Use a breathable container lined with a paper towel and place the container in the crisper drawer.
You should also store your blueberry container in the crisper drawer to keep blueberries fresh longer. You can give your blueberries a quick rinse and then pat dry before storing. However, it’s generally better to wait to wash them until just before eating.
When Should You Not Eat Blueberries?
Do not consume blueberries that are moldy. Moldy blueberries are bad blueberries that are unsafe to eat and can cause health problems. You should also avoid eating discolored or off-colored berries.
- Do not eat moldy or discolored blueberries.
- Do not eat a blueberry until after you have rinsed the blueberry skin with cool water.
- Do not eat immature fruit (i.e. unripe berries).
Do not consume unwashed blueberries until after they have been rinsed with cold water. It’s important to wash blueberries to remove lingering bacteria and pesticide residue. Lastly, avoid any unripe berries. You’ll be able to recognize them because they will not yet be blue.
Are Blueberries Good After 2 Weeks?
Blueberries will not be good past 2 weeks unless you made frozen berries with them. Making frozen blueberries is very easy so it’s worth learning how to do so. All you need is a freezer, a rimmed baking sheet, and parchment paper.
- Blueberries won’t last in the refrigerator past 2 weeks.
- You can freeze blueberries for up to 3 months.
Frozen blueberries can last for up to 3 months in the freezer before getting freezer burn. Frozen fruit can be just as healthy as fresh fruit. This makes it a great way to store fruit if you can’t use it all by its refrigeration shelf life.
Is a Little Mold on Blueberries Harmful?
Throw out moldy blueberries at once. Mold is dangerous to eat because it can lead to sickness or a serious allergic reaction. Signs of mold always signal bad berries. Consuming moldy berries is dangerous and should always be avoided.
- Blueberries that are actively growing mold must be thrown out at once.
- Any amount of mold spores can be dangerous to consume.
- Other blueberries that are near the moldy blueberries may be fine so long as they aren’t growing mold.
The presence of mold doesn’t mean that every blueberry in the container is tainted. Only the blueberries with mold physically growing on them need to be thrown out. Once you throw out the moldy berries, the remaining berries are safe to eat.
How Long Will Thawed Blueberries Last in the Fridge?
Thawed frozen blueberries only last for a week in the refrigerator. You’ll want to use them up as soon as possible because a week is an optimistic estimate. Thawed berries don’t last as long as fresh blueberries.
- Thawed blueberries only stay good for one week in the refrigerator.
- Freezing blueberries cause small ruptures to the skin which leads to them going bad faster once thawed.
Freezing blueberries cause the water content to form into ice crystals. These crystals break the blueberry skin, which increases aeration. This leads to blueberries going bad quicker. So, you’ll typically want to use frozen blueberries as soon as possible once they’re thawed.
How Long Are Blueberries Good For in the Fridge?
Fresh blueberries can last for 1–2 weeks in the refrigerator. Learning the tricks of blueberry refrigeration is easy and quick. There are only a few key facts to memorize when it comes to blueberry storage:
- Blueberries should be refrigerated for short-term storage.
- Don’t eat moldy, off-color, or unwashed blueberries.
- Blueberries are only good for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- For long-term storage, you’ll need to freeze blueberries.
- Frozen blueberries can last up to 3 months.
- Thawed blueberries will only stay good for one week in the fridge.
Remember that frozen blueberries are nearly as healthy as fresh blueberries. Don’t be afraid to freeze any berries you can’t finish in a 2 week period.