When searching for a landscape fabric for your child’s playground, it’s important to look for the following qualities:
- Durability to withstand foot traffic on top of the mulch layer.
- Ability to suppress weeds that attempt to sprout.
- Affordable price per square foot.
- Compatibility with all types of playground mulch.
Whether you use wood chips or rubber mulch, your landscape fabric is meant to prevent the mulch from being pulled down into the soil, keep dirt from rising up through the mulch, and stop weeds from growing through mulch. We’ve collected the top geotextile fabrics that meet these criteria.
Table of Contents
Does Landscape Fabric Stop Weeds in Playgrounds?
Laying landscape fabric is an excellent way to keep weeds out of playgrounds. It physically stops weed growth. Any weed seeds that attempt to sprout are blocked by the landscape fabric and cannot receive air and sunlight. The weeds will be smothered and die.
- Layers of landscape fabric in playgrounds work as excellent weed barriers.
- Public playgrounds use landscape fabric.
- Weed seeds in the soil can’t sprout and grow through landscape fabric.
- Landscape fabric also helps your mulch last longer by preventing decomposition.
Landscape fabric has several other benefits as well. Landscape fabric slows the decomposition process for natural mulches. It creates a more durable playground for your family.
Do You Need Landscape Fabric Under Playground Mulch?
When you are planning your child’s playground, make sure to lay landscape fabric under your swing set. It will stop a weed invasion, keep mud out of your playground, and allow for proper drainage.
- Landscape fabric is a must under playground mulch in order to fend off weed invasion.
- If you don’t install landscape fabric, weeds will begin coming up through mulch.
- Mulch on top of bare soil will be pulled down into the ground during wet conditions.
Without landscape fabric, your playground is very likely to be invaded by weeds. A layer of landscape fabric will stop you from fighting weeds in the playground area. Additionally, without landscape fabric, the layer of mulch in your playground will gradually be pulled into the ground when there are rainy or wet conditions.
4 Best Landscape Fabrics for Playgrounds
When choosing the landscape fabric to use for your playground, it’s essential to pick one that will hold up to the job. A layer of fabric that is spread underneath wood chips or rubber mulch needs to be durable enough that it won’t be punctured or torn by foot traffic on the mulch above. The fabric also needs to be tightly women enough to stop pesky weeds from growing through it. Here are the best landscape fabrics that meet these demands:
Best Rated – Dewitt P5 Weed-Barrier Woven Landscape Fabric
This 5-ounce landscape fabric from DeWitt sits at the top of our list with the best overall rating of any landscape fabric. It delivers weed-smothering power that is designed to last underneath a layer of mulch. Unlike lightweight 3.2 and 4.1-ounce fabric, 5-ounce fabric offers superior weed prevention. It also has the ability to resist tears no matter how rambunctious play becomes in the playground area.
- Prevents unwanted weeds, while conserving your soil.
- Won't rot, gather mildew, or get destroyed.
- Perfect for professional and commercial use.
Most Durable – KDGarden Premium 5oz Pro Weed Barrier Landscape Fabric
For a heavy-duty product that won’t be punctured by wood chips, gravel, or other sharp mulch, choose this landscape fabric from KDGarden. This polypropylene fabric is tough enough that it can keep weeds at bay in almost any circumstance. This fabric is so tightly woven that water drains through it more slowly than other fabrics, but this is worth it for a heavy-duty product.
- Heavy-duty professional-grade construction.
- Won't break down in harsh weather conditions.
- Allows your plants to grow and thrive, while preventing unwanted weeds.
Best Eco-Friendly Choice – Eco-Friendly and Disposable Jute Planter Liner
If you would like to maintain a green backyard without any plastics or non-biodegradable materials, choose a natural-fiber landscape fabric such as this jute fabric. Jute fiber comes from the jute plant, which can be grown sustainably. You can use this fabric as a substitute for synthetic landscape fabric in your playground. This way, you can suppress weeds without introducing any plastics into the environment.
- Disposable burlap made from high-quality, all-natural jute.
- Perfect for erosion control and protecting your plants.
- You can easily add this eco-friendly fabric to your compost pile.
Best Budget Landscape Fabric – AHG Premium Landscape Fabric
At a price-per-square-foot that is roughly two-thirds of the cost of competitor products, this landscape fabric from AHG is a great choice on a budget. Because properly installing landscape fabric in a playground requires two layers of fabric to hold up to demands, you’ll be using more material than you would for a typical garden. If you’d like to save money while still providing your playground with weed and mud protection, this is the best choice.
- Easy installation.
- Top-rated landscape fabric.
- Made from the AHG Premium series.
What Landscape Fabric Should You Use for Your Playground?
When selecting a landscape fabric to serve as the weed barrier under your playground mulch, we recommend the following products:
- Best Reviewed: DeWitt P5 Weed Barrier
- Longest Lasting: KDGarden Premium 5-Ounce Weed Barrier
- Most Eco-Friendly: Jute Planter Liner
- Best Price: AHG Premium Landscape Fabric
These 4 choices are the best on the market for use in a playground or underneath a swing set in your backyard. These fabrics help to suppress weeds and ensure you get the most out of your mulch ground covering.